Perth Dog Rehab was established in 2018 through Dr. Trevor's passion for rehabilitating animals back to health through drug-free treatment options. He has become Australia's first Vet Surgeon that is also a qualified hydrotherapist. Both he and Rachel our hydotherapist are accredited with the Australian Canine Rehabilitation Association (ACRA) ensuring that you and your dog will receive a professional approach from fully qualified staff that can assess, plan and carry out a safe rehab program that is individual to your dog's needs.
Hydrotherapy works by training the limbs to walk against resistance, aided by buoyancy provided by water and flotation & harness devices if required. Underwater Treadmill machines unlike swimming pools, allow for precise & controlled loading on painful areas of the body. We use a dedicated filtration system that ensures water clarity and thermostat controlled water heating for optimal muscle growth and comfort.
Over time, this assists dogs to return to function by:
- Accelerating muscle growth
- Re-educating the nervous system in the limbs and spine known as "proprioception"
- Increasing weight bearing on affected limbs
- Decreasing pain
Indications for Underwater Treadmill use include:
- Chronic Osteoarthritis
- Post operative rehabilitation from Cruciate repairs, Hip surgery (including Femoral Head and Neck Excision) & Spinal Surgery
- Conservative management for Hip Dysplasia
- Interverterbral Disc Prolapse and other spinal disorders including Wobbler's Syndrome & Degenerative Myelopathy
We also offer a remedial massage service which enables us to provide an alternative modality of pain management which can be used together with hydrotherapy or a standalone therapy. This improves flexibility, reduces pain and improves healing through altering blood flow to the muscles.
A veterinary assessment is required before dogs can start therapy. This can take up to 60 minutes so please allow enough time. You will need to organise a valid referral from your vet/specialist to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your appointment.