Perth Dog Rehab was established in 2018 through Dr. Trevor's passion for rehabilitating animals back to health through drug-free treatment options. He has become Australia's first Vet Surgeon that is also a qualified hydrotherapist. Being accredited with the Australian Canine Rehabilitation Association (ACRA) he and his team can assess, plan and carry out a rehab program that is individual to your dog's needs.
Hydrotherapy works by training the limbs to walk against resistance, aided by buoyancy provided by water and flotation & harness devices if required. Underwater Treadmill machines unlike swimming pools, allow for precise & controlled loading on painful areas of the body. We use a dedicated filtration system that ensures water clarity and thermostat controlled water heating for optimal muscle growth and comfort.
Over time, this assists dogs to return to function by:
- Accelerating muscle growth
- Re-educating the nervous system in the limbs and spine known as "proprioception"
- Increasing weight bearing on affected limbs
- Decreasing pain
Indications for Underwater Treadmill use include:
- Chronic Osteoarthritis
- Post operative rehabilitation from Cruciate repairs, Hip surgery (including Femoral Head and Neck Excision) & Spinal Surgery
- Conservative management for Hip Dysplasia
- Interverterbral Disc Prolapse and other spinal disorders including Wobbler's Syndrome & Degenerative Myelopathy
A veterinary assessment is required before dogs can start Underwater Treadmill therapy. This can take up to 45 minutes so please allow enough time. You will need to organise a valid referral from your vet/specialist to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your appointment.